Wednesday, February 25, 2009

U2 Monomania Continues

I can't help it. I just can't be silent when a once-brilliant band whose last album epitomized banality and dullness starts making interesting music again.

The omens continue to be good. Here's the band playing a new song called "Breathe" on French TV:



I like the whole Dylan-esque motor-mouth delivery of surreal lyrics thing. "I'm running down the road like loose electricity/ And the band in my head plays a strip-tease." "Chinese stocks going up and I'm coming down with some new Asian virus." And the soaring, Asiatic-tinged chorus. Good stuff.

Reminds me a bit of "Acrobat," but sung by a speed freak. Do I detect a slight White Stripes influence?

That's a good thing, of course: U2 have always made their best music by absorbing the newer sounds around them. Case in point: the Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, and Jesus and Mary Chain influences on Achtung Baby.

No comments: