Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Robots, Pandas, and Avalanches

As you might have guessed by now, I am a huge supporter of DFA records. I think they are pretty flawless. They never cease to amaze me. With that said, I am totally diggin' Shit Robot's two singles. The first is “Galaxy.” If heard in a club, it would killer. It is a damn good dance tune, very DFA. The other single is what gets me going called “Triumph.” Now I hate uplifting dance music. Jesus, I hate it. There is nothing worse than a bunch of dancers with their hands up in the build up while the DJ is doing the same. There are few sites that make sicker. Yet, I can’t help but feel some kind of spirit come out of me when I hear this song. The end is a true triumph. Indistinct vocals come in sung by an unknown person, more than likely James Murphy since he sings on Juan Maclean’s songs too. This song is too contagious. I had to listen to it over and over. I urge everyone to find this song. It is one of DFA’s finest moments.

I have a friend who is the world’s biggest Animal Collective fan. He is the type to get all the singles imported songs and whatnot. A while ago he had posted a video on a web page of mine. It was a solo performance by Animal Collective’s Panda Bear. It was an enjoyable song. I remember enjoying, but only watching it once. Then I see that Panda Bear has a song that you can listen to. This song is called “Bros.” I honestly can’t think of a more likable tune. It’s drenched in reverb and Panda Bear’s vocals just dive right into your heart. As I write this, I am listening to it in my third consistent play. It is utterly beautiful and angelic. If you don’t fall in love with this song, more than likely you have no soul.
Here is the link - http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Panda%20Bear%20-%20Bros%20%28Edit%29.mp3

I just read today that the amazing Avalanches are coming back. Funny, all the artists I am mentioning in this post make very sunny songs. It is in the dead of winter, and the fountain outside of my apartment complex froze over yesterday, but I am really feeling some summery music right now. Anyways, they are back! Now I have total faith in them. See, DJ Shadow created the ultimate cinematic moody sample album. To redo it, is a very hard thing. Quite impossible. The Avalanches, on the other hand, made the ultimate sunny party sample- based album. One can do that again but even better. They say it is more hip- hop than the first one. That makes me even more excited. The first one had a lot of hip- hop elements, but there were a lot of house elements on it. So this is exciting news. Those two along with 3 Feet High and Rising are probably the finest completely sample based albums ever. The Aussies say the album is “so fucking party you will die.” I’m already shaking with anticipation. The Avalanches are quite perfect for the realm of sample- based artists. They make damn good music, it can be utterly moving, and they are about as carefree as one can get. That is what should be happening. They just are having a good time while still remaining innovators. Exciting times are ahead of us. This year has a great deal of potential.

No comments: