Apologies for the lack of substantial posts from me lately. Lately I've been--as the wombats of the Okeefanokee say--swamped with alligator skin suitcases full of schoolwork. For fun, and in the spirit of High Fidelity, I thought I'd share a few of my Top 5 lists with you, dear reader. And challenge Monsieur Catalogues to do the same.
Top 5 Favorite Songs to Dance To
1. Grandmaster Flash- "White Lines"
2. Kraftwerk- "Pocket Calculator/Dentaku" live versions on Minimum/Maximum
3. X- "Los Angeles"
4. Gorillaz- "DARE"
5. The Juan MacLean- "Give Me Every Little Thing"
Honorable Mentions: "Too Much, Too Young" by the Specials and "Faster" by the Manic Street Preachers
Top 5 Political Songs
1. The Clash- "The Magnificent Seven"
2. U2- "New Year's Day"
3. The Smiths- "The Queen is Dead"
4. Scott Walker- "The Old Man's Back Again"
5. Manic Street Preachers- "If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next"
Honorable Mentions: "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" by the Clash, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by that band
Top Five Lyricists
1. Bono (fuck off if you're snickering; name someone who compares to him at his best)
3. Ian McCulloch
4. Nick Cave
5. Damon Albarn
Honorable Mentions: Scott Walker, Mike Scott, PJ Harvey, Bjork
Top Five Favorite Voices
1. Damon Albarn
2. Thom Yorke
3. PJ Harvey
5. James Dean Bradfield
Honorable Mentions: Scott Walker, Bjork, Elizabeth Frasier, Bono, Mike Scott, Nick Cave, Mark E. Smith, James Murphy
Any thoughts? Other Top Five lists?